Monday, October 20, 2008

Dream Job Vs. Freedom Of Expression

When I was searching through blogs, I came across a entree by the Admin at Body Art Blog that has been a topic of conversation between me and my sister/friends/ family for quite a while.

It reads:

"When I used to work in the land of $5,000 suits and $100 ties, I had a boss who admittedly had several tattoos. One day he was talking about it and had this to say. I never got any tattoos on my hand or my forearms and tended to keep them in areas such as my bicep where nobody could see them. That was good advice and I didn’t forget it.
It is estimated that 36% of all Americans between the ages of 18-25 have at least one tattoo. Tattoos are to an employer what long hair was in the seventies and spiked hair was in the eighties. If you want to put that hundred thousand dollar college education to use, I would plan carefully where you place your piercings and your tattoos.
It would stink if that tattoo or body piercing ruined your chance of a dream job."


It's really difficult for me to read, or even talk, about this subject because I know how true it is. The problem all starts at the fact that tattoo's and piercings are looked down on as trashy and hoodlum like. The problem with that is that, that's a very naive way to look at that kind of situation. Tattoos and piercings are just an expression of self. It's like telling someone they can't wear their hair a certain way or even wear a certain type of clothes. I will agree in the fact that some tattoos on some people can be gangster like but for the most part, tattoos are just art. It's a way to actually wear a beautiful piece of art. Piercings, unfortunately, are a little harder to defend. Other then being a form of self expression they do appear unprofessional in the work place. Personally, I have had to take out my piercings for most of my past jobs. The good thing about piercings though is that they can be put back in once work is over.

The way the world is going though, I am hopeful that tattoos will soon become more and more accepted in the business world. With almost everyone in my generation having at least one tattoo, I think that eventually tattoos can become more appropriate in the work place. Tattoos on someone does not define their work ethic, it does not define their motivation, and it definitely does not define ones education level. It's a shame the way the world looks down on people with body modifications but continuing on in the 21st century, I am hopeful that the worlds outlook will change.

Until then,
Bianca

No comments: