Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I Love California

Wow, listen to this one....

"ATLANTA -- Genital piercings for women were banned by the Georgia House as lawmakers considered a bill outlining punishments for female genital mutilation.
The bill would make such mutilation punishable by two to 20 years in prison. It makes no exception for people who give consent to have the procedure performed on their daughters out of religious or cultural custom.
An amendment adopted without objection added "piercing" to the list of things that may not be done to female genitals. Even adult women would not be allowed to get the procedure. The bill eventually passed 160-0, with no debate.
Amendment sponsor Rep. Bill Heath, R-Bremen, was slack-jawed when told after the vote that some adults seek the piercings.
"What? I've never seen such a thing," Heath said. "I, uh, I wouldn't approve of anyone doing it. I don't think that's an appropriate thing to be doing."
The ban applies only to women, not men. The bill has already been approved by the Senate but now must return to that chamber because of the piercing amendment. Both chambers of the Legislature must agree on a single version of a bill before it can go to the governor for final approval"


I don't even know how to begin dissecting this. I can't believe that passing a law like this is even allowed. If it is something that a woman chooses to do, how can someone just pass a law and not even give us the option to do it if we choose? It's not something that is forced on us, it's something that we, as free Americans, choose to have done. Another thing that really makes me angry about this is that it's not even illegal for men, just the women?? How is that fair? I can understand a state like Georgia not liking or agreeing with genitalia piercings but I would think that it would apply to both men and women. I have to say I'm disgusted and disappointed in Georgia, they are making it seem like they are some no name, super religious country in the middle of no where, due to their ignorant laws, and I would also like to thank god that I live in state that allows me such freedoms to do whatever I please.

I Love California

No comments: